Mother’s Day provides a great, interesting opportunity for you to be creative in thanking your mother, mother in law and grandmother. Here are several frugal ideas to show your appreciation of your mom.
- A popular choice has always been breakfast in bed. Add a nice touch with a small vase of fresh flowers from the garden.
- Treat her with a manicure and pedicure. It is a relaxing, pampered experience for her and you.
- Purchase a canvas bag and ask your kids to finger print and imprint hand prints all over the bag using fabric-safe paint. Then, write “mom’s hand bag” on one side.
- Create a homemade brag book by creating a small notebook or buying a notebook. Then, fill each page with a drawing, collage or photo. The theme could be, “what I love about my mom.”
- Decorate flower pots, since Mother’s Day happens around the beginning of gardening and planting season. You could paint or decoupage the pots.
- Celebrate with a brunch or a meal by making special dishes that everyone could participate.
- Surprise your mother with a “While You were Out” event. Ask someone, like your dad, to take your mom away for a day. Fix anything that is broken, paint walls and decorate within a fixed time limit. When your mom returns, be sure to videotape her reactions.
- If budget is tight, write a heart-felt note. The amount of time and effort you put into a thoughtful note has big impacts. You could include special moments, appreciation of her love, help and sacrifice.
- Give her the luxury of time. Give her a day off and help out with chores. The gift of time could be offered by everybody.
- Lastly, here are two simple home made recipes that you could make for your mother:
Easy Body Sugar Scrub
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- enough olive oil to dampen the mixture
Place sugar in a bowl and then gradually add oil. Stir to distribute the mixture evenly.
Easy Relaxing Bath Salts
- 1 cup of Epsom salt
- optional 1/3 cup of sea salt
- dried lavender buds or dried chamomile flowers (they can be substituted by lavender or chamomile essential oils)
Mix all ingredients until well combined. Place mixture in a seal-tight jar.
If you are a pet owner, you may need a different set of skills and strategies in order to find deals and savings for pet products, such as dog food, cat toys and pet health products. Here are various ways to find money saving coupons and savings to stretch your budget.
Pet product company websites
Many pet product companies have web sites that you could find coupons and mail in rebates. Use a search engine to find the corporate web site. Once you are on the corporate web site, look for links such as coupons or promotions. In addition, these companies often have their brand Facebook Fan Pages that you can “like” for more promotions including contests and deals. Lastly, join their mailing lists to be notified of the latest products and contests. Plus, they would often email you coupons directly into your inbox.
Here are some pet product companies:
Pet store online sites
In addition to pet product companies, there are pet store websites that you should visit. These sites often have promotions and deals section for the latest printable coupons. Plus, be sure to sign up for their frequent shopper loyalty cards to earn points redeemable for more savings and rewards.
Here are some pet store stores:
[click to continue…]
A credit report is a detailed report of your credit history. You can get your credit report for free. This allows you to see your credit rating and gives you a chance to correct any mistakes on the report.
There are two general ways to request your credit report: mail, which is free and online, which incurs fees. To get your free credit reports by mail, download these forms from individual credit bureaus and follow the mailing instructions:
National Consumer Relations
P. O. Box 190, Station Jean-Talon
Montreal, Quebec H1S 2Z2
Experian Canada, Inc.
150 King Street West Suite 805
P.O. Box 68
Toronto, Ontario M5H 1J9
All provinces except Quebec
TransUnion Consumer Relations Department
P.O. Box 338, LCD1
Hamilton, ON L8L 7W2
Centre De Relations Aux Consommateurs TransUnion
1 Place Laval Ouest
Laval, Quebec H7N 1A1
For more information on credit reports, credit scores and credit ratings, visit Office of Consumer Affairs of Industry Canada.
“Am I getting a good deal on this eBay auction?
How much should I sell this on Craigslist for?
Should I just buy a new TV from Best Buy instead?”
Priceonomics analyzes listings across the web to give you a price guide for everything. Before you buy or list anything, check out Priceonomics first. For example, check out the best prices to buy or sell an Apple iPad.