Mother’s Day provides a great, interesting opportunity for you to be creative in thanking your mother, mother in law and grandmother. Here are several frugal ideas to show your appreciation of your mom.
- A popular choice has always been breakfast in bed. Add a nice touch with a small vase of fresh flowers from the garden.
- Treat her with a manicure and pedicure. It is a relaxing, pampered experience for her and you.
- Purchase a canvas bag and ask your kids to finger print and imprint hand prints all over the bag using fabric-safe paint. Then, write “mom’s hand bag” on one side.
- Create a homemade brag book by creating a small notebook or buying a notebook. Then, fill each page with a drawing, collage or photo. The theme could be, “what I love about my mom.”
- Decorate flower pots, since Mother’s Day happens around the beginning of gardening and planting season. You could paint or decoupage the pots.
- Celebrate with a brunch or a meal by making special dishes that everyone could participate.
- Surprise your mother with a “While You were Out” event. Ask someone, like your dad, to take your mom away for a day. Fix anything that is broken, paint walls and decorate within a fixed time limit. When your mom returns, be sure to videotape her reactions.
- If budget is tight, write a heart-felt note. The amount of time and effort you put into a thoughtful note has big impacts. You could include special moments, appreciation of her love, help and sacrifice.
- Give her the luxury of time. Give her a day off and help out with chores. The gift of time could be offered by everybody.
- Lastly, here are two simple home made recipes that you could make for your mother:
Easy Body Sugar Scrub
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- enough olive oil to dampen the mixture
Place sugar in a bowl and then gradually add oil. Stir to distribute the mixture evenly.
Easy Relaxing Bath Salts
- 1 cup of Epsom salt
- optional 1/3 cup of sea salt
- dried lavender buds or dried chamomile flowers (they can be substituted by lavender or chamomile essential oils)
Mix all ingredients until well combined. Place mixture in a seal-tight jar.